Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Do you still laugh at fart jokes?

OK, so I understand that not everyone is privileged enough to walk around and be a subject of interest. I've always been an attention whore, but its not always a good thing. I sport a generic black eye patch because I have not healed enough to get fitted for my prosthesis. BUT....... how can I explain.......

Why do some people feel that its OK to stare or call out pirate references....... Really, were they raised by raisins? Feelings people. They are called feelings. I am lucky. I rarely get offended or my feelings (there is that word again) hurt, but I am using this pulpit to let the world know, its NOT OK bring up things that would make YOU uncomfortable. Think about how you would feel if you had to walk around with a patch over your face that is highly noticeable. It blends in with my hair, but that's it. It doesn't match any of my outfits (or shoes). Its not cool!!!!

For example, One evening (after an attempt to walk in the park), I walked into a store. It was a fairly pleasant experience until I walked up to the register. (Keep in mind, I think this is funny) The cashier took one look at me a stated "Hey, you're sporting the pirate look!" He had a huge grin on his face. I could tell he meant no harm. I smiled and politely responded "Johnny Depp is my hero". I was quite proud of myself. My first instinct was to smack him on the back of his head, an action I normally reserve for my younger brothers. Experiences like that have made me appreciate the humor in life that sneaks up on you. I am convinced that God brings people like that onto my path to remind me to not take things so seriously.

So my advise to those who are missing the compassion gene is to leave it alone. Make your snide comments to your buddy (and not in a movie whisper). But please, grow up. You know who you are. You still laugh at fart jokes (OK, so do I). But, you know what I mean.

On a lighter note, I had a great evening. I had dinner with my mother in law and her friends. Her friend Sandra's daughter and son in law are two of the funniest people I have ever met. Kim has an 80's obsession with Michael Jackson music. Only the tunes folks! She taught her son to moon walk. Its the funniest thing I have ever seen. All and all, it was a good day. My son was entertaining and still sporting his PJ's from PJ day at day care. So cute. They also make it easier for him to grab his feet and stick them in his mouth. A wondrous new trick that he is very proud of. He always looks to make sure someone notices. That smile is the sun for me.

Good night and cupcake dreams.

No comments: